Friday, May 08, 2015

THE ROAD LESS TRAVELED --- AND ALL THE OTHER ONES TOO

I love going down a road when there are no other cars to be seen.  Not one car ahead or behind for as far as the eye can see.  It does not seem scary or lonely.  It just feels neat.

Those are the rare times.  Most roads are full of people going to work or soccer or off to see a movie.  Roads allow people to --- "Watch out you idiot!"

"My gosh, are you blind?  That is a stop sign you blew through.  It is a good thing I am paying attention."

Now, where was I?  Oh, yes.  Roads allow people to travel and see the Grand Canyon and the mighty Mississippi and grandma.  Roads wind around a -- "For goodness sakes."  

"Have you forgotten where the gas pedal is?  Drive or get off the road. Some people!  Calm down, Mary, there will be a passing zone soon."

You would think the world is full of people with one goal:  To make my life difficult.  They run stop signs.  They turn in front of me.  They slow me down.  And road construction!  Of course I want smooth roads to drive on, but road construction seems to attract the "I will wait till the last minute to get over" driver.  And the "I will turn down this side road my GPS says will miss the construction" driver who soon finds out the calm voice has sent them down a lane to someone's house.

Yet, even with all the bad drivers, I love to -- "Put down the phone!!"  

"THINK!  Your life.  My life.  The lives of your children.  All way more important than a text message."

My goodness.  All these crazy drivers! Will I even make it to the store for a loaf of bread?

--------------

Does it ever feel like the universe has one goal?  A single goal of making your journey through life one road hazard after another?  One distraction after another.  A road block here and a stop sign there.  And someone slowing you down when you want to fly.  People making it hard for you to stay on the right road.  People making you think that loaf of bread isn't that important after all.

Well, listen up.  Hang in there!  It is important for you to be alert and complete your journey.  To stay the course.  To finish the race.  To cross the finish line.

And all you have to do is listen to the voice of the greatest GPS ever.  The voice of the Shepherd.

The one who enters by the gate is the shepherd of the sheep. The gatekeeper opens the gate for him, and the sheep listen to his voice. He calls his own sheep by name and leads them out. When he has brought out all his own, he goes on ahead of them, and his sheep follow him because they know his voice.

I am the good shepherd; I know my sheep and my sheep know me— just as the Father knows me and I know the Father—and I lay down my life for the sheep. John 10:2-4, 14-15 NIV

The Lord is my shepherd; I shall not want. He maketh me to lie down in green pastures: he leadeth me beside the still waters. He restoreth my soul: he leadeth me in the paths of righteousness for his name's sake. Psalms 23:1-3 KJV

--------------

Do you know the voice of the Shepherd? The calm, sweet voice of the One guiding you on your life's journey?  Trust the Shepherd to be your GPS.  He will not lead down the wrong lane.

No comments: