Friday, April 04, 2014

WHAT'S FOR LUNCH

(based on John 6:1-14)

Don't ya love children? They are so considerate of their parents. Always wanting to help. Never causing any extra work. There is one boy who caused him mom some worry and extra work.

In a grown up voice, the boy asks, "Mom, I know I have chores to do but Jesus, the man we have been hearing so much about, is speaking today. I really want to hear him. Yes, I know the way. Some of my friends are going. May I go, please? Pretty please with honey?"

"Lunch? No, I won't be back for lunch. Oh, mom. I am not a baby. If it will make you happy, fix a lunch and I will take it with me," he said. Under his breath he muttered, "And I bet it won't be a peanut butter sandwich. It will probably be the same old fish and bread. Whoopi."

So off the boy goes. See him? There in the middle of the crowd walking over the hill. He keeps looking around for his buddies but he is beginning to think their moms wouldn't let them come. He thinks, "I am going to hear this Jesus even if I have to do it by myself!"

"You said your name is Andrew. Come with you?" the boy asked. "Why? Yes I do have some food but it isn't much and to be honest it is cheap bread and fish. Not a lot you can do with so little. Besides, have you even tried to count the people? There must be 5,000 men. Plus the women and children. I can guarantee you what I have in this sack won't do it."

The next thing the boy knew he was in front of the whole crowd. Standing there with his sack lunch and looking right at Jesus. Then Jesus speaks to the boy and asks if he will share his lunch.

As everyone sat down and received their fill, the boy thought, "No way is mom going to believe this. And I thought it was a miracle she even let me come."

IT COULD HAPPEN TO YOU

It was cheap bread and some fish. Barely enough for one boy but enough to feed thousands.

It could happen to you. You could be asked to share something you have.

When you read about this miracle, do you picture Jesus sitting at the bottom of a hill? Do you picture families sitting in groups, relaxing and eating? Do you see men discussing what they had heard preached this morning? Do you see women taking care of children?

When you imagine this miracle where is the boy? Do you see him hand his food to Jesus? Do you see him watch as Jesus turns a little bit of food into basketfuls? Do you see the wonder in his eyes? Do you see him realize he helped others?

All the footnotes say this shows Jesus is the supplier of our needs. He is the bread of life. And it is true. But it also shows how we help Jesus. How Jesus can use what we have to feed others. To feed their bodies. To feed their faith.

What do you have Jesus can use? And "nothing" is not the correct answer! There is something unique about you. God made you special and gave you a talent, a gift, to use. Yes, it might be hidden but you can find it. Look deep. Deeper. Look outside of the box you put yourself in! Still looking? Feel like you have nothing to give? How about a few suggestions?

Call someone who is lonely

Visit a shut-in

Send a card to encourage a friend

Bake some cookies for the fire department

Teach a small group study

Help someone learn to change a tire

Teach plumbing to new homeowners

Babysit so a new mother can have a break

Plant vegetables to share

Read to those who cannot see

The list of possibilities can be long. God does not expect you to do them all. Maybe he only expects you to do one. Maybe he wants you to share some cheap bread and fish.

No comments: