Friday, April 18, 2014

GETTING THE ROOM READY

(based on Mark 14:12-16)

Two disciples went to prepare the room for Passover and I bet they talked while they worked. My imagination can fill in the gaps.

"Did you hear what they shouted? 'Hosanna, to the Son of David'."

"Yes and do you think Jesus has been different this week? Reflective as if he knows something is going to happen. He was mad in the temple."

"I say! Stuff sure went flying. He called it 'my Father's House'."

"Did you see the look on the faces of the chief priests and the teachers of the law? I am afraid they will be after Jesus even more now. We must keep our eyes and ears open."

"Did you see Jesus' face when he was telling us 'to love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind'? He was so serious. I felt like he was speaking only to me."

"I was confused when he talked about the temple being rebuilt in three days. I thought I understood what Jesus was trying to teach us until then."

"Maybe this evening we can ask him to explain about the temple being rebuilt."

"What about the woman pouring expensive perfume on his head? He sure set us straight. But why would she have been preparing him for burial now?"

"By the way, have you seen Judas?"

"No, I don't know where he is."

"Is that everything? Are we ready for the Passover meal?"

"I think we are ready. I have a feeling this is going to be a very important evening with Jesus."

IT COULD HAPPEN TO YOU

The disciples prepared a room for what they thought was going to be another Passover meal with Jesus. They were thinking ritual, food and fellowship.

It could happen to you. How would you prepare a room if Jesus was coming to eat?

"Tonight Jesus? Well, of course, I mean who am I to tell the Son of God this is a bad night, what with work and the kids having ball practice and I haven't been to the store. Yes, tonight will work."

Would you go into warp speed? Would you notice the dust behind the couch and realize there are shoes everywhere? And hasn't anyone taken out the trash all week? Good china? Yes, I will have to get out the good china. Now where is the lace tablecloth my mother-in-law said would come in handy? Better call and cancel ball practice and tell the kids to get home early so they can shower and put on their good clothes.

"Yes dear it would help if you ran the sweeper and went to the store. Pork chops. Oh, he is Jewish. Make it a beef roast. I can put one of those in the oven and forget it."

"AND WHERE IS THE BIBLE?"

If Jesus was coming to your home tonight to join you for supper, how would you act? Would you panic? Would you be afraid? OR ----

Would you set the table, get out the leftovers and wait at the door?

Jesus doesn't care if there is dust. He doesn't care if the floor is swept or if you put the most expensive cut of roast in the oven. Jesus doesn't care if you leave an old, ugly lace tablecloth hidden in the back of the closet. It is simple.

Jesus wants you to open the door.

Jesus wants you to invite him in.

No comments: