Friday, March 28, 2014

THAT'S THE DADDY I WANT

(based on Luke 15:11-32)

I do believe this is the most discussed, most preached, most one sided parable there is. Let’s get the given out of the way: Yes, this is a parable about us coming home to God. Coming home after we have taken his blessings, wasted them, hit rock bottom and hoping we will be forgiven.

My problem is I think the older brother is getting a bad reputation he does not deserve. I do not think he is mad about his brother coming home. I do not think he is even mad about the fattened calf. He might have been a bit upset about the ring, but who knows for sure.

Here is the visual. The older brother has been out working all day. He is hot, tired and sweaty. All he wants is a shower, clean clothes, supper and the remote control.

Confused the older brother asks a servant, "What is all the fuss about? Is my father okay? He isn't ill is he? Where is he? Is he in bed?"

The servant, really too busy to stop and talk, says quickly, "Your father is fine. Your brother is home." Then he adds, "We are having a party to celebrate. The fatted calf is almost done."

Now angry, the older brother yells, "Fatted calf? Did he give him a ring too?"

"Father! Father!" he yells as he runs into the house.

Smiling the father said, "Settle down, son. Your brother is home. I saw him …"

"You were watching for him?" the older brother asked in an indignant tone.

"Why yes," the father replied. "I saw him when he was still a long way off and ran to him, threw my arms around him and kissed him. We are now having a party to welcome him home."

The father said, "You have worked hard and everything I have is yours, but your brother is no longer lost. He is home and we have to celebrate."

IT COULD HAPPEN TO YOU

“My son you are always with me, and everything I have is yours. But…” You see, it is the little word "but" that causes the problem.

It could happen to you. You can be steady and loyal and still not get the fatted calf.

The older brother wanted a father who was so excited to see him he would run to meet him. He wanted a father who loved him enough to throw him a party. He wanted a father who showed love. Not one who said "but." My take is the older brother was upset because he wanted his brother’s father.

Are you more like the older brother than you want to admit?

"I always did the dishes when I was told and I kept my room clean, but he leaves everything a mess. Why doesn't he get in trouble?"

"Just because she stayed out past curfew doesn't mean I will. Why am I punished for her behavior?"

"But that piece of pie was mine. I told you I was going to eat it later. Why did you let him eat it?"

The problem is you expect your parents to be perfect. To be everything you need. To be fair. To love you. To protect you. Here is where a "but" comes in. BUT no parent is perfect. No parent is always fair. No parent can protect you at all times. No parent except one.

Do you know your Creator, your Heavenly Father, your God loves all of his children equally. He loves you unconditionally. He is watching and waiting for you to come home.

That is the Father you want!

And your Heavenly Father has gifts for you so exorbitant they will make a robe, sandals, ring and even a fatted calf seem like pocket change.

No comments: