Friday, February 28, 2014

WHERE DID HE GO NOW?

(based on Mark 1:36-37)

My imagination wouldn't let go of the disciples looking for Jesus. It is way too funny of a vision rolling around in my mind because I see the disciples scurrying around like mice.

Remember Jesus got up very early. While it was still dark he went off to pray. The disciples were worn out from the previous day's activity, had hit the snooze button on their alarm clocks and were blissfully grabbing ten more minutes of slumber. First one and then the other stood up, stretched and mumbled, "Good morning."

No one was completely awake and conversation was at a minimum until Simon had his first sip of coffee. It was then he realized Jesus was missing.

"Where is Jesus?" Simon asked. "Is he still asleep?"

One disciple ran to where Jesus had slept. "No! He is not here," shouted the disciple.

The disciples were not worried. Surely Jesus was outside looking at the morning star. "No," another disciple yelled, "he is not out here."

My imagination sees the disciples going from room to room looking for Jesus. I bet they even checked the rooms more than once. No Jesus.

Finally, the voice of reason was heard, "Do you suppose he went off to pray?"

The disciples had to figure out which direction Jesus went. This finding Jesus was much harder than the Finding Waldo books. Waldo stayed still on a page but Jesus - well, the disciples were never exactly sure where Jesus would go next.

Get ready. Here it comes. They found him and said, “Everybody’s looking for you.”

I bet Jesus turned his head, looked at his disciples and chuckled, while thinking, "Those silly disciples. Next time I will leave a note."

IT COULD HAPPEN TO YOU

Oh my goodness! The disciples lost Jesus. How dare they?

It could happen to you. Have you ever lost Jesus?

The disciples knew exactly where Jesus was when they went to sleep. The disciples could not find Jesus when they woke up. My imagination makes this a funny scene because when something is lost we look everywhere to find it. We even look in places again to make sure we didn't miss it the first time we looked. This is not funny though.

Have you ever lost Jesus? One minute he is there. Right beside you. Close enough to touch. You are so sure he is with you. You can feel his peace. His presence.

And then you cannot. Jesus is lost. You do not feel his peace. You do not feel his presence.

"Where are you Jesus?" you cry out. "I need you. I need you now."

You look for Jesus. "Where did I leave him? What happened between yesterday and today? What happened to my sense of security? I study. I read the Bible. I believe. Jesus, where are you?"

Alone, even if you are in a crowd or surrounded by family and friends, is how you feel. There is emptiness inside you. But why?

When this happens and it happens to every believer at some time in their faith walk, you have to take a deep breath and examine how you feel, what you have been doing and what you have been thinking. Are you on so many committees at church you don't have time for Jesus? Do you have health issues which consume your whole focus? Have you been so busy feeding the faith of others you have failed to feed yourself?

Stop. Take a deep breathe. Turn around. Jesus is right there and I bet Jesus arms are open and he is saying, "I will never leave you."

No comments: