Friday, January 18, 2013

THE PIT AND THE LIGHT

SCRIPTURES

He redeemed my soul from going down to the pit, and I will live to enjoy the light. God does all these things to a man - twice, even three times - to turn back his soul from the pit, that the light of life may shine on him. Job 33:28-30

Many are asking, “Who can show us any good?” Let the light of your face shine upon us, O Lord. You have filled my heart with greater joy than when their grain and new wine abound. I will lie down and sleep in peace for you alone, O Lord, make me dwell in safety. Psalm 4:6-8

I read these scriptures and the contract of pit and light created such images in my mind.

THE PIT

Pit: Deep. Dark. Narrow. Alone. Scared. No ladder to get out. Noisy because every fear would be running through the mind.

Those words sent chills down my spine. What would that be like? To be at the bottom of a deep, dark pit. Alone and scared because you knew there was no way out. And terrifying thoughts going around and around and around, until a scream comes from the very center of your soul.

Is that what a deep depression feels like? Or times when fear takes over? Or when helplessness invades every cell? Or when the realization comes there is no way out?

THE LIGHT

Light: Bright. Warm. Yellow. Safe. A part of. Able to see.

These words made we feel good. Where there is light I wouldn’t feel shut off from others and I would feel safe because I could see what was going on around me. And I would not need a ladder.

Anyone can fall into a pit. That pit may have the name of depression. Or fear. Or helplessness. Or no-where-to-turn. And, when at the bottom of the pit, there may seem no way out.

THE PIT: A WAY OUT

~ O Lord,

~ He redeemed my soul from going down to the pit

~ to turn back his soul from the pit

~ Who can show us any good?

It is said that if you are deep enough down a well you can see the stars. Even if it is daylight. From the bottom of the well, you can see the stars.

But the secret is that you have to look up. You have to seek the light.

THE LIGHT: THE WAY OUT

~ O Lord,

~ I will live to enjoy the light

~ the light of life may shine on him

~ Let the light of your face shine upon us

But there is a way out if we seek it. Just like the person at the bottom of a well, we have to lift our eyes and look up. God wants to help us climb out and His light will guide us.

AND NOW

Seek God’s light and follow. And yes, God’s light might guide you to counseling. Or medication. Or to a minister. God’s light will, for sure, guide in the right direction and lead you to exactly what you need to overcome the pits in your life.

LET US PRAY (Please use this as a beginning of your prayer. Finish in your own words, words from your heart.)

O Lord, show me your light. A light so bright it will show me the ladder - the way - to climb out of the darkness into light so I may enjoy life. Thank you for a light that leads me to dwell in your safety so I may have joy and then rest and sleep in peace. Amen

-----------------------------------------------

PS. For those among us who are fact checkers: I Googled “seeing stars from a well” and the answer is: No you cannot. I have still sited this very old idea, because, if it were true, you would still have to look up to see them.

No comments: