Friday, October 05, 2012

BIBLE ROULETTE

Today, I started my writing with an idea in mind: I will play Bible Roulette. With eyes closed, I will select verses.
  • So he did what the Lord had told him. He went to the Kerith Ravine, east of the Jordan. 1 Kings 17:5
  • The book contains a short prologue and a longer epilogue, which may have been added to the outer materials. Proverbs Introduction
  • to judge everyone, and to convict all the ungodly of all the ungodly acts they have done in the ungodly way, and of all the harsh words ungodly sinners have spoken against him. Jude 11:15
  • Blank -- (Yes, my finger pointed at a blank section of a page.)

I was sure this would point out that just taking random verses would make no sense. Would give no lesson. Know something? God has a sense of humor.

BIBLE ROULETTE

Did you just hear God laugh?

God - for sure - directed my finger to the first verse. So he did what the Lord had told him. Okay, that had to be a fluke because this verse preaches! Doing as the Lord told is a whole sermon. Or a simple prayer: Lord, I want to do as You tell me.

I was sure random pick two, part of the introduction to Proverbs, would make my point. God smiled and said, “Mary, you will understand the Books of the Bible, the inspired words of Me, if you understand who wrote them and why.” Okay, this random pick makes sense: Understand. Gain wisdom.

Finally! Random pick three proves my point. This verse makes no sense. First of all, it starts in the middle of a sentence. Why in the world did they number in the middle of sentences? Very confusing. Makes me wonder what the first of the sentence said God just smiled again. (So glad I am making His day.) Makes me wonder. Reading the Bible does seem to work that way. One verse makes you want to read another. One question makes you want to find the answer.

Well, I have God now! On pick four, my finger landed on a blank part of the page. Blank. No lesson there. And God said, “Are you so sure?”

Tenderly, God continued, “Mary, your tomorrow is a blank page. It is up to you what you write on it. You can be joyous. You can be bitter. You can be empty. Or you can be filled. Your tomorrow is up to you. Just remember, no matter what you do. No matter where you go. I am with you.”

SCRIPTURE: REVELATION 22:1

Then the angel showed me the river of the water of life, as clear as crystal, flowing from the throne of God and of the Lamb…

AND NOW?

My page is not going to be blank.  Don’t know about you, but I think I will find a really, REALLY big dipper and head to the river.

LET US PRAY (Please use this as a beginning of your prayer. Finish in your own words, words from your heart.)

Dear Lord, My tomorrow is a blank page. It is up to me what I write on it. I can be joyous. I can be bitter. I can be empty. Or I can be filled. My tomorrow is up to me, but I will remember, no matter what I do. No matter where I go. You are with me. Amen

No comments: