Friday, August 05, 2011

AWFUL WORDS TO SAY AND HEAR

TODAYS SCRIPTURES

Judges 10:6 Again the Israelites did evil in the eyes of the Lord. They served the Baals and the Ashtoreths, and the gods of Aram, the gods of Sidon, the gods of Moab, the gods of the Ammonites and the gods of the Philistines. And because the Israelites forsook the Lord and no longer served him, he became angry with them.

Judges 10:13-14 But you have forsaken me and served other gods, so I will no longer save you. Go and cry out to the gods you have chosen. Let them save you when you are in trouble!

AWFUL WORDS TO SAY AND HEAR

If you read the history of the Israelites, it is no different from our history. The phrase ‘did evil in the eyes of the Lord’ appears repeatedly. This time their evil was not only worshiping/serving one other god, but multiple gods. I guess you could call it “god of the day” worship.

AWFUL WORDS TO SAY:

We, like the Israelites, continue to tell God no. We refuse to do X, Y or Z. We do over and over things, we know we shouldn’t. Our gods have different names: Money. Pride. Sports. These are all gods we serve by our actions. And by those actions we tell God no! We tell God we will not serve you alone.

But could you:

  • Look into God’s face and say, “Sorry, God. I would rather spend my time watching football/sport of your choice than go to church with my family.”
  • Shake God’s hand and say, “Thank you for the plan you prepared for my life, but my plan is better.”
  • Sit next to God, remember what you have in the bank, put 1% into the collection plate and say, “Well, God. That is better than nothing.”

How loud would your voice be if you had to raise your head, open your eyes, look into the face of God and say, “I pick these things over you. I no longer serve you.”

I no longer serve you. Awful words to say.

AWFUL WORDS TO HEAR:

In these scriptures, the people have turned to God and asked for help. God tells them, “Go and cry out to the gods you have chosen. Let them save you when you are in trouble!” Now that would be tough to hear. Immediately you would know you had really messed up this time. Instantly you would realize those gods could not save you.

These are not the awful words to hear though. The awful words? “I will no longer save you.”

Our Sunday School class studied these scriptures and I asked the class, “How would it feel to have God say he would no longer save you?”

No one spoke. Most looked down at the table. It was as if the air was sucked right out of the room.

One person finally said, “But he didn’t take away his presence.”

Another said, “They truly repented. (Verse 15) They gave up the other gods.”

What reaction would you have? Would it seem as if the world stopped spinning? As if time stood still? Would you --

I will no longer save you. Awful words to hear.

LET US PRAY (Please use this as a beginning of your prayer. Finish in your own words, words from your heart.)

Lord forgive me for all the times my actions have refused to serve you. Open my eyes so I will recognize the gods that take my time, my resources, my soul. And when I finally see, when I truly repent - please Lord, forgive me.

Lord, I know you will always be present in my life, but I pray that the Holy Spirit stays strong and so fills me, that I never hear you say, “I will no longer save you.” For if I ever turn to other gods and hear you utter those words, I will be lost forever.

Amen

No comments: