Friday, May 06, 2011

CHANGE OF IDENTITY

As I look back, I realize my identity has changed over the years. I have gone from a young thing to a getting-closer-to-65. My identity has gone from daughter, to wife, to mother, to grandma. I have been a resident of Indiana, a resident of Michigan and back to a resident of Indiana. I have been a student, a car hop and an accountant's secretary. I am still my husband's right hand in our office and I am an auction cashier.

My identity is getting ready to change. As I write this, I am still an auction cashier. That, after 32+ years, will change May 21 when I work my last auction. This was not an easy decision to make. I have met some extremely wonderful people and, yes, a few that tested my patience and caused my temper to flare. I have enjoyed the challenge of the auction and, yes, suffered frustration when we would occasionally not balance. I have traveled to work auctions all over Indiana and into Michigan and Ohio. There are people I will miss. I will miss those that I have worked beside for all of these years, but it is time.

Just so you do not think cashiering is a piece of cake, I want you to know that I will not miss working out of very breezy barns and freezing my backside and I will not miss 90 degree summer days when there is no breeze and the sweat is dripping down the back of my neck. I will not miss driving in fog, snow, rain or sleet. I will not miss needing to have a nature break and there being a line at the port-a-pot. I will not miss the port-a-pot!!!!!!!

The bottom line is that by late afternoon, on May 21, my life will change. Again!

But our lives change from moment to moment. No two days are the same and not one of us is exactly like we were yesterday. We change with the activities in our own lives and we change as we interact with family, friends and strangers. We change as the world changes. Everyone's identity changes. Oh, wait!

TODAYS SCRIPTURES

Your kingdom is an everlasting kingdom, and your dominion endures through all generations. The Lord is faithful to all his promises and loving toward all he has made. Psalm 145:13

I the Lord do not change. Malachi 3:6

Jesus Christ is the same yesterday and today and forever. Hebrews 13:8

"I am the Alpha and the Omega," says the Lord God, "who is, and who was, and who is to come, the Almighty." Revelation 1:8

"I am the Alpha and the Omega, the First and the Last, the Beginning and the End." Revelation 22:13

CHANGE OF IDENTITY

My identity will continue to change. Your identity will change. The only thing we can be sure of is that God - the Father, the Son and the Holy Spirit - never changes. God is the Beginning and God will be the End. God is the Alpha and the Omega.

LET US PRAY (I have put in things that touch each of us at one time or another, but use this only as a guide. Use the changes in your life to make it personal.)

What do I do Lord? I think I have it all figured out. Life seems to be going good and then everything changes. There are disagreements within my family and friends just seem to disappear when I need them. Things pop up at work I hadn't expected and then I am flustered and on edge. Supper doesn't get done on time and the washer springs a leak. Is there ever a normal day? Why do things continually change? How do I survive in an ever changing life?

How do I survive? I turn to You. Thank you for not changing. Thank you for being the same God from morning to morning. Thank you for being with me in all of my yesterdays. Thank you for being with me today and I know you will be in my tomorrow. When everything around me changes, I know I can turn to you. When everything around me changes, I know you will always be faithful. Amen

No comments: