Sunday, April 03, 2011

APRIL FOOL'S DAY

GUESS THE APRIL FOOL'S IS ON ME. FOR SOME REASON MY BLOG DID NOT POST. THANKS TO A FRIEND WHO MISSED IT.

Now who would come up with a day called April Fool's Day? And why?

Who and why? No one really knows but in 1582, in France, people were a bit confused. Or so it seems to me. They celebrated the New Year from March 25 to April 1. Then Charles IX introduced a new calendar that began with January. Not having the internet or text messaging, it took the news a bit of time to travel and some people did not take the news in stride. They did not want to change. They wanted to keep the old calendar.

What were the people called who refused to change? These backward folk were labeled "fools" and they were teased for continuing to celebrate the beginning of the year on April 1. A new tradition was born.

April Fool's Day is just one of those nonsensical days. A day where kids try to trick their parents with the same jokes that their parents used. (Hey, your shoe is untied.) Times on clocks are changed to confuse people. Sugar is put in place of salt and money is glued to the sidewalk. And kids around the world - kids of all ages - smile when they yell, "Got ya. April Fools!"

TODAYS SCRIPTURES:

(Jesus speaking) "But everyone who hears these words of mine and does not put them into practice is like a foolish man who built his house on sand. The rain came down, the streams rose, and the winds blew and beat against that house, and it fell with a great crash." Matthew 7:26-27

Therefore do not be foolish, but understand what the Lord's will is. Ephesians 5:17

APRIL FOOL'S DAY

This day came into being because, as people heard of the new calendar, they did not want to change. People have heard about God at different times. Some heard early in their lives and some did not hear until they were up in years. Some believed immediately. Some did not. Some have not. Some will not believe because they do not want to change.

QUESTIONS OF THE DAY

When did you first hear about God? Did you believe right away? Did you have trouble because you did not want to change? (The changing part is an ongoing process. God keeps pointing out big and little areas of my life that need changed. Also, just when I think I have learned one lesson, God hits me between the eyes with a 2 X 4 and teaches me something else. I told someone that I wished he would use something softer.)

LET US PRAY (Please use this as a beginning of your prayer. Finish in your own words, words from your heart.)

Do you laugh at us on April Fool's Day? Teasing each other. Pulling pranks. Lord, do you think your children are a bit silly? Or do you enjoy seeing us having fun? Do you enjoy watching young children trying to put one over on their parents?

I know better, but so often I do deserve to be called a fool. Forgive me, Lord, when I try to put one over on you. Forgive me when I resist changing my life.

I do not want to be fools and live a foolish life. I want my faith built on solid rock - on Your solid rock. And I want to understand your will. Amen

No comments: