Friday, October 08, 2010

BRACE YOURSELF

I love chapter 38 of Job. I turn to this chapter and read it when I am feeling smug. When I feel a bit on the proud side. All I have to do is read this chapter and my feet and the size of my ego are right back where they belong: Feet on the ground and ego human size.

TODAYS SCRIPTURE: JOB 38:1-3

Then the Lord answered Job out of the storm. He said: "Who is this that darkens my counsel with words without knowledge? Brace yourself like a man: I will question you, and you shall answer me."

BRACE YOURSELF

Can you picture Job, when God says, "Brace yourself."? I have a feeling his shoulders drooped, his head lowered and his eyes were full of fear.

After God got Job's attention, he continued, "Where were you when I laid the earth's foundation? Tell me, if you understand." Verse 4

God didn't stop there. He came back with, "Have you ever given orders to the morning, or shown the dawn its place, that it might take the earth by the edges and shake the wicked out of it?" Verses 12 and 13

By now Job had to be shaking in his sandals. God kept it up: Do you know? Can you? Who? When? Have you? Who provides? God kept questioning Job in Chapters 38, 39, 40 and 41. Can you hear his voice sometimes loud? Sometimes sarcastic, as in 38:18, "Have you comprehended the vast expanses of the earth? Tell me, if you know all this."

Job's mind had to be turning a mile a minute. His thoughts had to bouncing around like a super bouncy ball. Why? -- I was blameless and upright. -- I lost everything. -- I didn't blame God. -- Okay, maybe a bit. -- Maybe I shouldn't have asked for my accuser to face me. -- And all the advice I have been getting. Oh, why did I listen to them?

When God finished, Job understood the reason for his suffering. Everything had happened so he would have complete faith. Job realized he had spoken of things he did not understand and things too wonderful for him to know. He told God, "My ears had heard of you but now my eyes have seen you. Therefore I despise myself and repent in dust and ashes."

QUESTIONS OF THE DAY

Have you ever read these chapters? Will God question us also? Are you ready to hear, "Brace yourself."?

LET US PRAY (Please use this as a beginning of your prayer. Finish in your own words, words from your heart. Have a conversation with our Glorious God.)

Dear God, These chapters, in Job, are very powerful. "Brace yourself" makes me smile when I think of Job being told off by God. They do not make me smile when I think about my own actions. Many times you have given me "brace yourself" moments. They always happen when I am being stubborn and trying to do things without knowledge. Do things my way. That is when I get a "Well have you made the sunshine? Were you even there? No? Then why are you feeling so sure of yourself?" God, if you tested me, to the degree you tested Job, would I still be honest before you? Would I still be strong? Or would I fail? Oh how I hate those "brace yourself" moments. They mean I have not been doing God's will. BUT, Lord, I also love them, because they mean you are giving me the knowledge I need to grow and go forward. Go forward to complete faith. Amen

No comments: