Friday, April 23, 2010

STEPPING STONES

TODAYS SCRIPTURE: ISAIAH 48:17

This is what the Lord says -- your Redeemer, the Holy One of Israel: "I am the Lord your God, who teaches you what is best for you, who directs you in the way you should go."

STEPPING STONES

Bill no longer has any Quikrete. He likes to keep it on hand to repair a chip in the sidewalk or a crack in the driveway. I will admit this is what the product is for, but I have found a way to use it that is a lot more fun.

Last October I went to Florida with our daughter and her family and I brought back some shells. I knew what I was going to do with them and finally got around to making stepping stones for their flower bed.

Internet instructions said to make the mix like "brownie batter." Not wanting to make a batch of brownies, I thought, "I know what brownie batter looks like. I have made many pans of brownies. This will be a piece of brownie." (That is meant to be funny.)

Found out this is a bit trickier than I thought. The mixing was going good but seemed a bit too thick. So I added a tad of water. Now too thin. So I added more Quikrete. Ah, that looked just right so I poured it in the pan. And started making another batch.

That one was no easier to make. I thought I was adding a bit of water and it turned out to be a bit more than I needed. But I planned to make a third stone and did not want to use all my mix. So, it was a thin "brownie batter" that I poured it into the pan.

I decided I better put the shells in the first pan before it set up too much. Oops! Remember that was the thicker mix. I am glad they were tough shells because I had to push them in.

That was not the problem I had with the second stone. Remember it was a bit thin. When I put the first shell in, it sank! When I dug it out, it left a hole. So I patted and smoothed in the hole. Finally all the shells were in place and I added some accent pieces. They were heavy and - yup - would not stand up. So I dug them out.

Do you get the picture? An easy project that was not easy and I now have to replace Bill's Quikrete. The stepping stones do look good though.

The Bible tells us many things about our steps. Bill used to get upset because I would go out in the barnyard barefoot. Proverbs 14:15 says, "A simple man believes anything, but a prudent man gives thought to his steps." Believe me, I gave much thought to where I would step. I like putting bare toes in mud, but I did not want to put bare toes in - well, let's just say I did not want to put bare toes in other barnyard items. I was prudent with my steps.

It is not always so easy to know where to step. Or what path to follow.

Again the Bible reassures us. Job 34:21 tells us, "His eyes are on the ways of men; he sees their every step". Psalm 37:23 says, "If the Lord delights in a man's way, he makes his steps firm; though he stumble, he will not fall, for the Lord upholds him with his hand."

So, when you are unsure of your next step. Or questioning what path to follow. Take the Lord's hand and he will direct you in the way you should go.

QUESTIONS OF THE DAY

Have you ever tried an easy project that ended up being not so easy? Do you watch where you step?

Please use this as a beginning of your prayer. Finish in your own words, words from your heart.

LET US PRAY

To the Lord my God, -- Who sees my every step. Who knows what is best for me. Who is there when I stumble and will not let me fall. Who upholds me with His hand. Who directs me in the way I should go. -- I reach for Your hand so I may step firmly onto the path you have prepared for me. May each step be for Your Glory and Delight. Amen

No comments: