Friday, February 26, 2010

AN HONEST MAN

Hi, Please enjoy this devotional. We are going on vacation so the next post will be March 19. Celebrate each day, Mary

TODAYS SCRIPTURES:

Train a child in the way he should go, and when he is old he will not turn from it. Proverbs 22:6

Be shepherds of God's flock that is under your care, serving as overseers -- not because you must, but because you are willing, as God wants you to be: not greedy for money, but eager to serve; not lording it over those entrusted to you, but being examples to the flock. And when the Chief Shepherd appears, you will receive the crown of glory that will never fade away. 1 Peter 5:2-4

AN HONEST MAN

I cashier auctions and try as I might, I will - and I hate to admit this - make an occasional mistake. Sometimes I file a ticket behind the wrong number. Or the clerk will put the wrong bidder number down. It is hard to hear when the crowd is noisy and 51 and 61 can sound alike. When the sale is over, we go through those lone tickets and try to figure out where they belong.

Occasionally a person will say, "I know I have another ticket. I bought a periwinkle marble for $ 35.00." If a quick search does not turn up the ticket, we take the money, note the amount and try to find a match when we balance out. And there it will be. A single ticket with the wrong number or (Regretfully my error.) filed where it does not belong.

Last Saturday, I waited on an Honest Man. This young man regularly comes to our auctions and usually has his son with him. When I told him the amount he owed, he said, "You must be missing a ticket. I know I had another $ 20 item." I looked and could not find it. Asking if he was sure it was $ 20, I told him I would find the ticket later and tear it up. He paid his bill and turned to leave.

That is when I embarrassed him. I said, "Do you realize the example you just set for your son? Your son saw his father being an honest man. He will not forget that."

The son grinned from ear to ear, as he realized how special his father is. The father turned a bit pink and started to say something. Then he grinned and said, "Thank you."

Train a child in the way he should go

Be shepherds of God's flock that is under your care

Because you are willing

You will receive the crown of glory that will never fade away

And right there, in the middle of a very busy auction, stood an honest man who was training his child in the way he should go. He was being a shepherd to the flock that is under his care. And he was doing it willingly and without even realizing it, he was training his child. He will receive his crown of glory.

QUESTION OF THE DAY

Have you set an example for someone lately?

Please use this as a beginning of your prayer. Finish in your own words, words from your heart.

LET US PRAY

Dear Chief Shepherd, I pray that my Spirit is a willing Spirit. I pray that I am a good shepherd to the flock you have placed around me. I pray that I live my life in such a way that I exemplify Your works to children. I pray that family, friends and strangers will observe me serving and want to serve the same God. I pray that I serve, not to be seen, but to teach by example. And when you, the Chief Shepherd, appears I will humbly receive the crown of glory that will never fade away. Amen

No comments: