Friday, September 04, 2009

SEPTEMBER? NO WAY!

TODAYS SCRIPTURE: PSALM 90:17

May the favor of the Lord our God rest upon us; establish the work of our hands for us -- yes, establish the work of our hands.

SEPTEMBER? NO WAY!

SEPTEMBER? It cannot be September! If it is September, there are only four months left in this year. Four months to finish that list of things I wanted to accomplish by year's end. It is my month to teach Sunday School, we start a seven week Bible Study this coming week and I just took on new projects! What was I thinking? SEPTEMBER? It cannot be September!

Oh, but it is and as I think about the things I did not get accomplished so far this year, I realize some of them did not amount to a hill of beans and some of them will be finished by years end. Or the next. I realize some of the "work God has for Mary" was not intended for me to accomplish. At least, not at this time.

The other stuff: I am glad it is my month to teach our class. I never thought I would enjoy teaching, but I do. One thing for sure, our class never knows what to expect when I teach. A new Bible Study - When Godly People Do Ungodly Things - is a chance to learn, grow and, hopefully answer questions. And new projects. Well, I am going to try to drag our church into the modern age of technology. We need a working website and I taught our Church Council a new word: Facebook.

It's funny. Those things I thought I had to get done. Those "work God has for Mary" projects that are still in the drawer. Something always came up.

Ongoing work - teaching Sunday School and Bible Study - always seem to fit into my schedule.

And the new projects? I checked the website for our denomination. Guess what. They offer an online course to learn managing a website. No roadblock there. And I have the names of two very good website providers and design companies. Not just one, but two. And I can do this from our home.

And facebook. I have people wanting to learn how to set up personal pages on facebook. Not only are we looking at a facebook page for our church, but one for the youth. Who knows where this will lead. I wonder why this seems to be falling into place?

Oh yeah. May the favor of the Lord our God rest upon us; establish the work of our hands for us -- yes, establish the work of our hands. Maybe this time I was listening to what God had in mind for me.

QUESTIONS OF THE DAY

Can you believe it is September? Only four months left in this year! Have you accomplished everything you set out to do? Will you get it done by December 31? Do you need to sit down and figure out what is important and what needs to be put aside for another year? Or maybe never.

Please use this as a beginning of your prayer. Finish in your own words, words from your heart.

LET US PRAY

Hi God, I only have a minute because I am so busy. Doing what? Well, I am doing Your work. At least I am trying. There always seems to be a reason I cannot finish. Or sometimes a reason I cannot get a project even started. There is so much I need to do. Did you say I need to step back? That I need to listen? Forgive me. Let me start over.

To the Lord my God, May your favor rest upon me. Establish the work of my hands. Yes, establish the work of my hands. Amen

~ ~ ~ ~

A reminder for next Friday, September 11: Please fly your flag as a prayer for all who died September 11, 2001. As a prayer for the families who now only have a memory of a loved one. As a prayer for all the rescue workers who gave so much. As a prayer that this country will always remain strong.

No comments: