Friday, August 21, 2009

THE LOST DRIVER’S LICENSE

TODAYS SCRIPTURES:

If only I knew where to find him; if only I could go to his dwelling! Job 23:3

You will seek me and find me when you seek me with all your heart. Jeremiah 29:13

Find rest, O my soul, in God alone; my hope comes from him. Psalm 62:5

THE LOST DRIVER'S LICENSE

I love working at auctions. You meet a very diverse assortment of people. We have our groupies and they become like family. Chatting about their week. Their health. Their new babies or grandbabies. We have those that have never attended an auction and are afraid to blink for fear it will be taken as a bid. We assure them that only happens on TV. We have the ones we like to tease and those we wish would never come back.

The other day we had the man who could not find his drivers license. Honestly, this happens with great regularity and, I am not male bashing, but it is usually a man. (Now admit it ladies. Men will look and look for something and then give up. That is when the female will walk to the garage/kitchen/desk and find the lost object laying in plain sight. I saw that nod of agreement.)

Back to my story: First, his wife came to our table and asked if we had found her husband's license. I had checked this gentleman in and I assured her that I always hand the license back with the bidder number card.

Later that day, the man came to the table to check again and make sure no one had turned in his license. "No sir. Are you sure you did not put it in a different pocket?" I asked.

He said he had checked and as he talked, he patted each pocket. Each empty pocket. Then he took out his money clip.

As he held his clip and assured me that he always put the license back in the same spot, I am ashamed to say I started to laugh. So did the two other ladies standing there. Why?

As the gentleman held his money clip and as we were trying to control our smiles and only laugh a bit, I said, "Sir, would you please turn your clip around."

There, on the wrong side of his money clip. There where he never puts his driver's license, was his license. That is when his wife started laughing. Then the man laughed too.

How often do we know right where to find something and then when we reach for it, it is not there? How often do we need something, but need help finding it?

Sorta like finding God. Sometimes we know right where He is. We feel Him beside us strong and true. Other times it is as if God is lost. We are just not sure where to find Him. But just like the driver's license, God is always there. Sometimes we find Him right away. Sometimes we need someone to show the way. Sometimes it is as easy as turning around.

QUESTIONS OF THE DAY

Have you ever lost something only to have someone else find it quickly? Have you ever felt like you lost God? Where did you turn for help?

Please use this as a beginning of your prayer. Finish in your own words, words from your heart.

LET US PRAY

Hello Lord. I am so thankful that I can always find you. That I can find you when I feel alone. Or frightened. Or sad. I know you are always there. I am so thankful that I can always find you. That I can find you when I feel happy. Or joyous. Or humble. I am so thankful that I can always find you. That I can find you when I feel you are far away from me. I know you are not. I know you are there, waiting for me to find my way back. Thank you for others that tell me, "Turn around. God is right there. See him. God is waiting for you." And when I find you, I know I will find rest. Amen

No comments: