Friday, June 19, 2009

THE PERFECT DAY

TODAYS SCRIPTURE: PSALM 118:24

This is the day the Lord has made; let us rejoice and be glad in it.

THE PERFECT DAY

It is raining. AGAIN! I have put out a call for gopher wood and our grandson Noah is on standby. I do believe we might need to build another ark. Want to ride along?

So, if I had a perfect day - sun shining, with a gentle breeze. Temperature between 70 and 75. (Bill says I have a very narrow comfort range.) What would I do? Where would I go?

I would go to see the ocean. Waves gently rolling in and out. A horizon that goes forever. A blue sky. A ship in the distance. Children building sand castles. A couple walking by, holding hands, oblivious to the world.

I would go to the mountains. Powerful reminders of God's grandeur. Snow on top and pine trees. Sharp jagged rocks. Beautiful valleys. The setting sun making shadows and filling the sky with pink. Purple. Blue.

I would go find a creek. (Pronounced 'crick' in my neck of the woods.) I would wade. Feeling the water drifting over my toes. Smooth rocks underneath and tiny fish swimming by.

I would go to a big city. To feel the energy that is generated by so many people rushing to get nowhere. I would look at the buildings and be amazed at the architecture. I would go to an art museum to see how other people see the world. I would find a neighborhood so I would know that even in big cities there are families eating supper together.

I would go to Yellowstone. There I would sit and watch a herd of buffalo. Watch them graze. Watch them sleep. Walk. Exist. Buffalo are my favorite wild animal. They have attitude!

I would find a church. A quiet, old church. Along a dirt road. Forgotten by time. With the doors unlocked. I would enter. Sit quietly and wait.

QUESTIONS OF THE DAY

What is your idea of a perfect day? What would you do with it?

Please use this as a beginning of your prayer. Finish in your own words, words from your heart.

LET US PRAY

Life can get so hectic. The day can be planned to the last minute. Each second necessary for me to get everything accomplished. No extra time. Then wham. One phone call throws me off schedule. Lord, let me see each day as the perfect day. Maybe not what I had planned. Maybe not what I even wanted to do. Sometimes pulled this way and that. Lord, give me a perfect day. A day where I sense your direction. A day where I know you are in control. A day where I take time for work. Play. Family. Friends. Myself. A day where I make time for you. Amen

No comments: