Friday, May 15, 2009

I READ IT IN A BOOK

TODAYS SCRIPTURE: MATTHEW 26:39

Yet not as I will, but as you will.

I READ IT IN A BOOK

I know I have talked about Jan Karon's Mitford Series before, but one of the things I have been doing, while I am confined, is to read these books again. For the third time!! It is like visiting old friends. The Mitford Series is about Father Timothy, an Evangelical minister. At age 60+, Father Timothy meets the love of his life, Cynthia.

This time, I noticed some points I had missed. (The prayers in bold are mine.)

Father Timothy told Cynthia he kept trying to get it right. He had been trying to do this since he was a boy because he had never been able to please his father. So, here he was, a minister. A friend to many. And still trying to get it right. Know what Cynthia told him? She said, "Only God has to get it exactly right."

Lord, let me trust in you to get it right. Amen

One day, Father Timothy was driving. Just enjoying the day. Thanking God. Then he had a thought -- Suppose for a moment that God began taking from us the many things for which we have failed to give thanks. What would be left?

Lord, let me never forget to be thankful. Thankful for everything from each breath I take to the smallest grain of sand on the beach. Amen.

One day Father Timothy saw how happy Cynthia was and asked, "What are you celebrating?"

Cynthia replied, "Being alive. We breathe, we run around in our underwear, we go to the store, we dig up the tulip bulbs or plan to, we make soup and pay the electric bill, and we never stop to think - we're alive! This is a gift!"

Lord, thank you for the gift of life. Amen

Buck came to the house one day. He stood in the doorway as in a trance, taking in the Christmas tree ablaze with tiny lights and the train running around its base. Suddenly the rector saw the room with new eyes. He had been passing in and out of this room for days, scarcely noticing, enjoying it with his head instead of his heart.

Lord, let me walk through life, seeing each day with new eyes. Let me never just walk through this life you have given me. Amen.

Whenever Father Timothy or Cynthia had to make a decision. Whenever they needed direction. Whenever they needed to turn it all over to God, they prayed the prayer that never fails: Thy will be done.

Thy will be done. Amen

QUESTIONS OF THE DAY

What book have you read that inspired you? Do you have books that you read twice? Three times? Why?

Please use this as a beginning of your prayer. Finish in your own words, words from your heart.

LET US PRAY

My dear Lord, I do trust you to get it right. I have to because it is for sure that - on my own - I never will. I keep messing up. I try and try, but there is always something I leave undone. Something I don't undersatand. That is why I trust you. Trust you to get it right. I am also thankful. Thankful for my hands, my eyes, my feet. Thankful for the air I breathe and the stars and the moon and the sun. Thankful for trees and books and aardvarks. Thankful for laughter. Thankful for the gift of life. Let me see my life with my heart. With new vision. Let me see the little things. Clean laundry. A glass of water. A sunset. Let me see life in all of its brilliance and wonder. And as I go through my life and face decisions, let me always turn to you and, with faith that you will get it right, say, "Thy will be done." Amen

No comments: