Friday, November 07, 2008

I CAN ONLY IMAGINE

TODAYS SCRIPTURE: MATTHEW 6:9

After this manner therefore pray ye: Our Father which art in heaven, Hallowed be they name.

I CAN ONLY IMAGINE

Sometimes I enjoy driving by myself. I can listen to the music I want. Or listen to a sermon. I can drive in silence. Or I can talk with God. That is what happened the other morning.

It was early. Barely daylight. I said, "Good morning God."

I wondered how many people were praying at that very moment. I wondered what that would sound like.

"O Lord. What does it sound like? So many prayers being said at one time. So many people asking for help. So many people sending up praise. So many languages. What does it sound like?" -- And I thought, "I can only imagine."

"What is it like to see your children turn from your way? What does it feel like to see even one of your sheep lost?" -- And I thought, "I can only imagine."

"What does it feel like to see a child born? To see new life and then to see that life taken in anger. Or neglect." -- And, with tears in my eyes, I thought, "I can only imagine."

"As you look at this great world, what does it feel like to hear words spoken in anger? To see your sons hungry? To see your daughters thirsty?" -- And I thought, "I can only imagine."

"What did it feel like to watch your Son nailed to a cross? To watch your Son die?" -- And, thankfully, I thought, "I can only imagine."

"What did you feel as your Son rose from the grave? To see Him alive and coming home?" -- And I thought, "I can only imagine."

"What does it sound like to hear thousands of voices singing? Joyfully singing songs of praise. Declaring You the Most High. The One True God. What does it sound like? Is it music to your ears?" -- And I thought, "I can only imagine."

"What does it feel like to see one of your treasured children come back to you? Like something missing has been returned?" -- And I thought, "I can only imagine."

"God, what do you feel when you -- See tears of joy? Hear the laughter of a child? See people reading the Bible? Watch someone slip from earthly life into eternal life? How does it feel when one of your children opens their heart to accept your offer of peace, comfort, hope and grace? God, what do you feel when you see one of your children reach out their hand to another?" -- And, with a humble heart, I said, "I can only imagine."

(Today there are no questions and no beginning prayer. Take time to talk to God. He will listen. He is waiting for you.)

No comments: