Friday, November 21, 2008

A DRIVE ON A DARK MORNING

TODAYS SCRIPTURE: ISAIAH 35:8

And a highway will be there; it will be called the way of Holiness.

(Please read Isaiah 35. This is a wonderful chapter.)

A DRIVE ON A DARK MORNING

On my November 7 blog, I wrote about talking to God while I was driving. Today I want to tell you about an early morning drive I had. For those of you who do not know it, I cashier auctions and those auctions are not always close to home or easy to find.

In the fall and winter, thanks to our Indiana legislature, we experience dark mornings because of Eastern Time zone/daylight savings time. Bless their hearts. (Sarcasm there.) Early one morning. A dark morning. I left for an auction. Did I tell you it was dark? And early. That meant the deer would be meeting in the fields for their breakfast and morning gossip. That meant I had to watch out for deer.

Being dark also meant I had to dim my lights for oncoming traffic and I had to squint when those same cars were not as considerate. Bill had made me a map and I was sorta confident as to what towns I would be going through, where to make turns and how to get to the auction.

What I found, as I drove, were a few unexpected curves that looked like straight lines on the map. I also found I appreciated the reflectors down the center of the road and the white line on the edge of the road. These helped keep me in my own lane on that early dark morning.

Know what? That drive is like traveling the road of life. Life is not always sunny and bright. Sometimes it is dark and danger starts early in the day. The deer and bright oncoming headlights are like sin, ready to step in front of you at any moment or blind you to the truth. The other side is that God is like the reflectors and the white line. He has laid out a path for you - yes a path that has many curves and unexpected turns, but he does have a road for you to travel. The headlights on your own car? The light of God showing you the way. And the map? The Bible.

QUESTIONS OF THE DAY

As you travel, what is trying to distract you? What light is shining in your life? What do you use as a map?

Please use this as a beginning of your prayer. Finish in your own words, words from your heart.

LET US PRAY

A highway will be there; it will be called the way of Holiness. My God, I want to be on that road. As I travel through life, light my way. Protect me as sins and false gods try to distract me from my destination. Let my eyes see the reflectors and white lines so I do not veer off your highway. Give me wisdom so I can understand your map - the Bible. .… Amen
HAVE AN EXTREMELY HAPPY THANKSGIVING!

No comments: