Friday, October 10, 2008

A DREAM PUT ON HOLD

TODAY'S SCRIPTURE: 2 CORINTHIANS 1:3-7

(Paul to the church of God, in Corinth) Praise be to the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, the Father of compassion and the God of all comfort, who comforts us in all our troubles, so that we can comfort those in any trouble with the comfort we ourselves have received from God. For just as the sufferings of Christ flow over into our lives, so also through Christ our comfort overflows. If we are distressed, it is for your comfort and salvation; if we are comforted, it is for your comfort, which produces in you patient endurance of the same sufferings we suffer. And our hope for you is firm, because we know that just as you share in our sufferings, so also you share in our comfort.

A DREAM PUT ON HOLD

My husband just came home (I am writing this Thursday evening) from a real estate auction. Not a big sale. 20+ wooded acres, with two ponds. It did not sell. He was hoping it would, because the owners are not only clients, but also friends.

Just a few weeks ago, real estate of this type would have sold. Hunters, fishermen and those wanting to build, in the woods just outside of town, would have filled the auction room. The bidding would have been very competitive. Tonight? Tonight was a no sale.

I think people are scared. We are all financially afraid. They might call it a bailout in Washington DC, but the normal person is still seeing their savings accounts dwindle and their IRA's and retirement plans crumbling. People do not know what tomorrow will bring. Tonight? Tonight was a no sale. People are putting their dreams on hold.

I pray that, if you are facing financial problems, you can find the resources to provide for yourself and your family. I pray that, if you have to put your dreams on hold, you put them where you can easily find them later. I pray that you face life realistically but that you will not lose hope.

QUESTIONS OF THE DAY

Are you facing a rough time financially? Do you know where to turn for help?

Please use this as a beginning of your prayer. Finish in your own words, words from your heart.

LET US PRAY (This prayer is written using Psalm 27)

I lift my prayer to the Lord, my light and salvation. You are the stronghold of my life and I call upon your strength to protect me against the things I fear. Although I am suffering because of evil men and circumstances I could not control, I am confident that my heart will not fear. I ask only one thing of you Lord. I want to dwell in your house all the days of my life. If I dwell in your house, I will be safe when trouble comes. You will be my shelter and my rock. Hear my voice and be merciful. Lead me on a straight path. I am confident that I will see the goodness of the Lord in the land of the living. I will wait for the Lord. I will be strong and I will wait for the Lord. Amen

No comments: