Friday, September 26, 2008

Mama Mia


TODAY'S SCRIPTURE: PSALM 145:18

The Lord is near to all who call on him, to all who call on him in truth.

MAMA MIA

A few weeks ago, Bill and I went to see Mama Mia. The movie did not receive two thumbs up, from the critics, but we enjoyed it. It was colorful. It was fun. I have already told Bill that he can get me the DVD Mama Mia for my birthday. He likes it when I make shopping easy for him.

I had forgotten how much I enjoyed Abba music, but since seeing the movie, I have listened to the Abba Gold over and over and over. To the point that their songs are going around and around in my head. (Some people would say that there would be plenty of empty space for them to bounce around in.) Anyway, one song just keeps returning: Take a Chance on Me.

When I listened to that song for at least the millionth time - okay, that might be stretching it a bit, I figured out why I liked it. It reminded me of God talking to me.

I can hear God saying, "If you change your mind, I'm the first in line. If you need me, I will be around. If you have no place to go. If you are feeling down. Take a chance on me."

"If you are all alone, I will do my very best. Put me to the test. If you will let me try. Take a chance on me."

"I will be there when you dance, walk or listen to music. I just want us to be together. To get to know each other better. Take a chance on me."

God would then assure me, "I cannot let go. I am in no hurry. Take a chance on me. My love is strong enough to last when things are rough."

There are so many wonderful Christian songs, but the surprise is when we find God in an unexpected song. Take a Chance on Me is not a Christian song, but isn't that what God is asking us to do?

QUESTIONS OF THE DAY

When do you take a chance on God? When you are alone? When you are feeling down?

Please use this as a beginning of your prayer. Finish in your own words, words from your heart.

LET US PRAY

To the God whose love is strong enough when my times get rough. To the God who allows me to change my mind and turn to Him. To the God who welcomes me with open arms when I am at my lowest and have no place to go. To the God who wants me to know Him better. To the God who has taken a chance on me. Thank you for being in unusual places where I can be reminded that You are always there for me to turn to. Amen

No comments: