Friday, August 22, 2008

PRAYING

TODAY'S SCRIPTURE: JAMES 5:13

Is any one of you in trouble? He should pray. Is anyone happy? Let him sing songs of praise.

PRAYING

I was looking ahead to our Sunday School class material for August 31. It is on the Prayerful Community. Prayer. Sometimes praying is easy and sometimes it is hard to find just the right words. Prayer takes many forms and, at a class on prayer, an instructor had various names for them.

Most people start with the Santa Prayer. Dear God, Give me this. Give me that. I want. I need. Amen.

Then they move onto the Slot Machine Prayer. Dear God, I pray before we eat. (yes) I go to church. (yes) I read the Bible everyday. (yes) That is three in a row so I get what I pray for. Amen

Next, we try the Help Prayer. Dear God, I know I do not pray as often as I should, but I do need some help so if you could see your way clear to help me I won't bother you again. Amen.

If that doesn't work, try the Let's Make a Deal Prayer. Dear God, If you will give me this one little request to make all A's even though I haven't studied; I promise I will study every night for the rest of my college years. Amen.

Many of us try out the ole Holier than Thou Prayer. Okay God, I am doing more at church than anyone else is and I read the Bible everyday. I am working on two devotionals and teaching my children the Books of the Bible (In book order and alphabetically). Knowing all this, I just know you will put my prayer request above those people that go to that upstart church down the road. Amen

When you finally figure it out, you pray the From the Heart Prayer. My Dear Heavenly Father, What a day. The birds sang. I heard children laughing. Thank you for beautiful sounds. I also knew you were with me when I went to the doctor. I do not know how I would get through my struggles without you there. Thank you. Amen

The point I am making is that it takes time to develop a relationship with God. Not on God's end -- on our end. But while that relationship is developing, do not worry about making a mistake when you pray. God just wants you to talk to him. He wants to hear the words of your heart.

QUESTIONS OF THE DAY

So -- which type of prayer do you use? Do you find it easy to pray? Do you find it easy to pray aloud? If others are listening?

(If you have any hints/helps for people who have trouble praying, leave a comment. I still do not feel comfortable praying aloud, so do not feel like you are the only one.)

Please use this as a beginning of your prayer. Finish in your own words, words from your heart.

LET US PRAY

Hello God, Seems as if I have all sorts of words in my head. Then someone says 'pray' and it seems as if all the words leave me. They hide. I know you will listen no matter how I pray. Keep me from the temptation of waiting until I find just the right words. Let me just begin -- Hello God, Have I told you … Amen

No comments: