Friday, July 11, 2008

ONE EXCITED 4-YEAR-OLD

TODAY’S SCRIPTURE: JOHN 14:1:4

"Do not let your hearts be troubled. Trust in God; trust also in me. In my Father's house are many rooms; if it were not so, I would have told you. I am going there to prepare a place for you. And if I go and prepare a place for you, I will come back and take you to be with me that you also may be where I am. You know the way to the place where I am going."

ONE EXCITED 4-YEAR-OLD

(Some background: I love grandchildren sleepovers. In our old home, they slept in an upstairs right next to our bedroom. If Kailyn was there, it was her room. If Matthew was there, it was his room. And so on right down to Timmy. Each of the grandchildren called it their room. They didn't mind that the others also laid claim to that room. When we were preparing to move and telling them about the new home, they each asked questions about where "their" room would be. Now you are ready for my story.)

I wish you could have seen Timmy (Timothy is his official name, but Timmy fits him better.). Timmy had seen our new house before it was painted and before we had any furniture in it. Then, when we were all moved in, our daughter brought the four boys over to see where grandma and grandpa were living.

Of course, since Timmy had been here before, he proceeded to show his three older brothers where the kitchen was. And the dining room. And the closet under the steps. Believe me, when Timmy was here the first time he opened every door and explored every room, so he was giving a very good tour. He made a big deal of leading his brothers into our bedroom and announced, "This is where grandma and grandpa sleep."

Then Timmy headed up the steps to show them the other bedrooms. That is when he lost it. He looked in the one bedroom and started jumping up and down. He was so excited he could hardly talk. Then, in a very loud, excited four-year old voice, proclaimed, "You moved my bed. You moved my bed. You moved my bed."

"Oh, grandma. You moved my bed." What joy those words brought to my heart. I don't know if he thought the room would still be empty. I don't know if he thought we would not bring "his bed." I just know he was so excited that he couldn't help but jump, smile and proclaim the good news.

That is what I want to do. I want to leap with joy, smile and proclaim the good news. "God has your room ready. God has your room ready. God has your room ready."

Can you picture yourself - someday - saying in a quiet, grateful and excited voice, "Oh, God. You have my room ready." And those words will bring great joy to God's heart.

QUESTIONS OF THE DAY

Do you know that God has prepared a room for you? How does that make you feel?

Please use this as a beginning of your prayer. Finish in your own words, words from your heart.

LET US PRAY

Oh, my wonderful God. You have prepared a room for me. I feel so unworthy. To know all that I have done and yet know that you are waiting. Waiting to welcome me. Welcome me to my room. I want to leap. I want to smile. I want to proclaim the good news. God has a room for me. For each believer. Someday, when I have finished my work on earth, I will be able to say, "You have my room ready. Thank you." …… Amen

No comments: