Monday, May 05, 2008

PAINTING POTTERY

Before you read today's blog, I have a question. Did you read the blog for last week and then try the exercise? Did you take a newspaper or magazine and then use your Bible to find scriptures that fit the article or ad? Let me know how it turned out. --- Mary

TODAY’S SCRIPTURE: ISAIAH 64:8

Yet, O Lord, you are our Father. We are the clay, you are the potter; we are all the work of your hands.

PAINTING POTTERY

Last Saturday, Nathan and I painted pottery. We went to a pottery shop and looked at all the items on the shelves. Did we want to paint a bowl? Or a plate? How about a trivet? Picking something to paint almost takes as long as painting the piece.

Finally, Nathan decided on a bank for his daddy. Not a piggy bank, but a kitten bank. I picked out a coffee cup. A tall one, with a big handle that my knuckles will fit through. (Bless my mother. She left me restless legs and arthritis in my knuckles.) We then picked out colors and began painting.

We sat across the table from each other and put on the first coat. Then two more.

Nathan decorated the ears, nose and eyes. He wrote, "Love you" and put on whiskers. He did not think it looked like the colors he had picked out, but the owner assured him that when the piece was fired, it would be bright and the inside of the ears would be a nice pink.

I painted mine a soft cream and then added a vine with yellow and red flowers. I even put flowers inside so when the coffee is gone I will see a bright yellow flower looking back at me. Huh, maybe I should have put an eye, but I am not that good. Believe me; the designs have to be simple.

This is the third time I have painted pottery, with one of the grandkids, and I do enjoy it. There is something about sitting there, painting and talking. Admiring and talking. Helping pick out colors and talking. Did you pick up on the talking part? I cannot tell you what we talked about. We just talked as we painted. Sometimes we just painted, in comfortable silence.

Then we were done. Then it was time to wait. It will be this weekend before the pieces will be fired and ready to pick up. I cannot wait to see how they turned out. Will Nathan like the color he picked out for the kitten? Will the eyes be exactly as he wanted them?

Will I like my cup? Will the vines be the correct shade of green and will those simple flowers make me smile? Will I enjoy holding the cup as I drink my morning coffee or have a cup of tea while reading a good book?

I wonder if that is how God feels as he watches me. God created me to be one of his children. He gave my eyes their color. He knows the number of hairs on my head. As he waits, does he wonder how I will turn out when I go through the fire, through troubles? Will they make me stronger? Will they make me reach for His hand?

As he waits, does he wonder how I will turn out when I go through the good times? Will the good times also make me stronger? Will they also make me reach for His hand?

QUESTIONS OF THE DAY

Are you artistic? Do you paint? Take exceptional pictures? Scrapbook? Garden? Write? Write music? Sing? Dance? Cook? Bake cakes? Pies? Arrange flowers? Tell intriguing stories? The list of how you can create is unending. As you are creating, do you wonder how it will turn out when you are finished?

Do you realize that you are a creation of God's and that He is waiting to see how you will turn out?

Please use this as a beginning of your prayer. Finish in your own words, words from your heart.

LET US PRAY

My Creator, Thank you for creating me. I know that I see my flaws and you see my beauty. I know that I get impatient with life and you are waiting to see if life will lead me to you. Let me travel through the fire and reach for your hand to help me through. Let me travel through the joys and reach for your hand so I can share them with you. … Amen

No comments: