Thursday, May 22, 2008

THE NEXT GENERATION

TODAY’S SCRIPTURE: EXODUS 3:14-15

God said to Moses, "I AM WHO I AM. This is what you are to say to the Israelites: 'I AM has sent me to you.' " God also said to Moses, "Say to the Israelites, "The Lord, the God of your fathers -- the God of Abraham, the God of Isaac and the God of Jacob -- has sent me to you.' This is my name forever, the name by which I am to be remembered from generation to generation."

THE NEXT GENERATION

Our local library is celebrating 100 years. The library stated small, on the back porch of a member of the Women's Club. Small, but a beginning. The library moved to a larger building and then, thanks to an extremely generous gift, to the spacious building we have now. I am on the committee planning the events to celebrate these 100 years of serving the community.

As part of the celebration, we are featuring various patrons and I interviewed three generations of a family that reads. And I do mean read. Two brothers started keeping track of the books they have read since they retired. Gene, 90, has read over 500 books and he does not count magazines. Max, 86, has read 2,119 books. Gene's daughter Cathie and grandson Cory, each say they have read thousands. I told you this family likes to read.

I figured each interview would take 15-20 minutes. Was I ever wrong! Each lasted for over an hour. As I compared notes, from the different interviews, the thread between the generations could clearly be seen. Although Gene and Max were not read to as children and, admit they did not read to their children, they both told about reading to their grandchildren. Cory talked about the influence of seeing a grandfather read. Cathie read to her children every time they had a spare minute and now Cory has widened the reading circle to include his wife.

Gene and Max both served in WW II and they read about the war. Some things should never be forgotten and those books remind us that our freedom to read comes with a price.

I am glad I had the opportunity to interview three generations. Then I got to thinking. What am I passing on to the next generation? And the next? Our scripture says, "I AM WHO I AM. …the name by which I am to be remembered from generation to generation."

QUESTIONS OF THE DAY

What have you received from and what are you passing on to: The "older" generation? Those your own age? The next generation? (Remember, generation includes everyone, not just your family.)

Please use this as a beginning of your prayer. Finish in your own words, words from your heart.

LET US PRAY

Dear I AM, From generation to generation, You are. You are the God of my faith fathers. The God of the generation before me. You are my God and You are the God of the generations after me. Give me wisdom and direction so I can pass the blessing of knowing the great I AM to all generations. …… Amen

No comments: