Friday, May 09, 2008

MOTHERS -- YOU WANT ME TO DO WHAT?

TODAY’S SCRIPTURES:


Bezalel made the ark of acacia wood - two and a half cubits long, a cubit and a half wide, and a cubit and a half high. He overlaid it with pure gold, both inside and out, and made a gold molding around it. He cast four gold rings for it and fastened them to its four feet, with two rings on one side and two rings on the other. Exodus 37:1-3

(At the evening meal) so he got up from the meal, took off his outer clothing, and wrapped a towel around his waist. After that, he poured water into a basin and began to wash his disciples' feet, drying them with the towel that was wrapped around him. John 13:4-5

MOTHERS -- YOU WANT ME TO DO WHAT?

Can you imagine being picked to make the Ark of the Covenant? Last week I told you about the simple cup I painted and the Lord gave Bezalel the skill to build the ark. Out of acacia wood and gold. Wow. I would have said, "You want me to do what?"

Other workers were given the skill to sew priestly garments. Ephod made of blue, purple and scarlet yarn. And of gold. They hammered thin sheets of gold and cut strands to be worked into the yarn. Now that is talent. I would have said, "You want me to do what?"

There were specific men who were in charge of recording names. I know why, today, we have simple names like Mary. How would you like the job of recording all those names and genealogical records?

We learn, in the Old Testament that God had a job for everyone. All those men with those strange names had assigned job. Some were priests. Some were temple musicians and some were gatekeepers. Some were carriers of the tent poles and some were in charge of the oil. Some kept track of the flour, the spices and some kept track of the wine. Some were responsible for counting the 5,400 articles of gold and silver. All very important jobs.

Since this weekend is Mother's Day, I want all mothers to look at the work you do. Do you enjoy the big jobs where you get the pats on the back: Directing the class play? Hosting the most amazing birthday parties? Always being the highest seller on those way-to-often fundraisers? Do you like that part of being a mother?

What about changing diapers? Washing the clothes that seem to multiply in the never-find-the-bottom hamper? Fixing macaroni and cheese, again? Repeating, for the nine millionth time, "Get down from the top of the cabinet."?

Mothers -- not everyone can direct the play. Not everyone can afford those elaborate birthday parties for two year olds. And not everyone can come in first. AND IT DOES NOT MATTER.

As a mother, the most important work you can do is to take care of the day-to-day needs (not wants) of your children. Find a way to realize your worth. Understand that a clean bottom and fixing macaroni and cheese are important. Understand that you might never receive a standing ovation for doing laundry or making sure that your child does not fall from the top of the cabinet.

By the way, Bezalel built the ark, but Jesus washed the feet of his disciples. Whose name do you remember?

QUESTIONS OF THE DAY

What do you consider the most important part of raising children? Are you a mother who wants to be noticed? Or are you the mother cleaning up the mess made by the tree who got nervous right before she went on stage?

Please use this as a beginning of your prayer. Finish in your own words, words from your heart.

LET US PRAY

Dear Lord, So often I say, "You want me to do what?" And I get tired of doing laundry again. And again. And shopping. And cleaning. And reading that one favorite book over and over. Sometimes I would just like to yell, "Wake up kids. How do you think that clean laundry got in your drawer? And yes, I found your other shoe after you went to bed. Can you be more responsible?" Being a mother is so day-to-day. Everyday. But then a small hand is placed in mine. Or I see the twinkle in their eyes. Or I hear the laughter. Thank you God for allowing me to be a mother to your children. Teach me to read the Bible to find strength and inspiration. Enrich my faith so, with wisdom, I can tell your story. I am blessed. My name is Mother. ……… Amen

No comments: