Friday, April 11, 2008

OUR DOG FINDS A NEW HOME

TODAY’S SCRIPTURE: 1 SAMUEL 16:3, 11-12

(The Lord said to Samuel) "Invite Jesse to the sacrifice, and I will show you what to do. You are to anoint for me the one I indicate."

So Samuel asked Jesse, "Are these all the sons you have?" "There is still the youngest (David)," Jesse answered, "but he is tending the sheep." Samuel said, "Send for him; we will not sit down until he arrives." So he sent and had him brought in. He was ruddy, with a fine appearance and handsome features. Then the Lord said, "Rise and anoint him; he is the one."

OUR DOG FINDS A NEW HOME

In June, we are moving from the country into town. This decision has been a long time in the planning, but when things began to fall into place, everything happened at once. The one thing we did not consider was that our dog would not be going with us.

Gretchen, a Rottweiler, is used to watching cars, trucks and tractors go down "her" road. She is used to watching the cows. She is used to having the barn to roam in and has her favorite spot in my flowerbed. She is used to being our office assistant. (Sleeping by our desks.) She is used to an invisible fence keeping her in "her" area.

One day we were looking at what would be our new home. My husband turned to me and said, "We cannot bring Gretchen to town." Yes, we could put in an invisible fence to keep her in the yard, but as loving as she is, Gretchen is not used to having close neighbors. Or other dogs wondering in and out of her yard. We could not take Gretchen to town. We had to face it -- Gretchen is a country dog.

What would we do? Could we find someone to take Gretchen?

Yesterday, a fine young man came to meet Gretchen. Know what? I think Gretchen knew. I think she realized her life was about to change. She went right to him. She sat and let him pet her. Gretchen has always ridden in the back of a pickup but, when it was time for her to go; she got right in the car. Along with her favorite rug, her dog biscuits and toys. She got right in the car. She knew she was leaving.

We hope Gretchen is happy in her new home. With a new family.

Life constantly changes and we really have no idea what tomorrow might bring. When Gretchen got into the car, she had no idea how her life would change. But she got in. When he was summoned, David had no idea how his life would change. But he went.

QUESTIONS OF THE DAY

Is your calendar filled out for the year? Do you know what you are doing this evening? Tomorrow? Fifty-seven days from now? Do you really know? Or do you just know what you have planned? Are you open to change?

Please use this as a beginning of your prayer. Finish in your own words, words from your heart.

LET US PRAY

Dear Lord of yesterday, today and tomorrow; I admit I have my time planned. I know what I want to watch on TV. I know what I want to wear to church Sunday. I have written my life on a calendar. Let me change. Let me be open to your calling. Let me be willing to change my life when the opportunity comes. Let me be willing to …… Amen

No comments: