Friday, January 04, 2008

A NEW YEAR

TODAY’S SCRIPTURE: PSALM 63:2-4

I have seen you in the sanctuary and beheld your power and your glory. Because your love is better than life, my lips will glorify you. I will praise you as long as I live, and in your name I will lift up my hands.

A NEW YEAR

Welcome to a New Year -- 2008. It is always exciting when a new year starts. A chance to change those bad ole habits into good ones. A time to look forward and a time to look back.

The other day I came across the question, "Think of a time when you sensed the power of God." As I looked back, I thought; I think I feel the power of God when my Holy Spirit - not my mind or emotions - needs Him.

I remember a time when I was young girl living in Brazil, Indiana. I do not remember the exact age, but I would say 10 to 12, when I was sitting in the pew waiting for other people to go to the altar. I sat there and sang Just as I Am, with the rest of the congregation. Then I felt like I was the only one in the church. I remember the feeling of wanting to go up and being afraid, what others would think. Then I went forward. I had no choice. My spirit needed to stand up for my faith.

I remember a Christmas Eve communion, in Hartford, Michigan. Communion was set up and people came anytime during the evening. When I arrived, there was no one else in the church. I can close my eyes and remember how quiet the church was. How peaceful that communion was. How comforted I felt when I left. My spirit needed to experience communion uninterrupted and unhurried.

I remember being afraid after surgery. (See the blog for July 20, 2007 for the whole story.) I remember sitting on the couch, at North Manchester, Indiana, and letting all my fear come out. Then a light came and took away my fear. My spirit needed to trust God.

My spirit needed to grow in Tucson, Arizona. A homeless man was hungry and we provided food for his body. He put a face to a problem and I will never see those in need without seeing this man.

I have felt close to God as I worked through Purpose Driven Life and other Bible studies.

In looking back, it became very clear that God does not care what age you are or where you live. God is always there. You cannot be too young or too old. God is always there. You do not have to be at home or at church. God is always there. You just have to open your eyes and see Him.

I hope that you sense the power of God every day of 2008.

QUESTION OF THE DAY

When have you felt the power of God?

Please use this as a beginning of your prayer. Finish in your own words, words from your heart.

LET US PRAY

Dear Powerful Lord, You are powerful and I do sense you around me daily. There are some days when you are there in the background. And some days when you are beside me, holding my hand. And there are some days that you are in front of me, clearing the way. This is a new year and during this new year, I want to sense your presence even stronger. Help me to ………………………………… Amen

No comments: