Friday, January 18, 2008

I WONDER

TODAY’S SCRIPTURE: MATTHEW 16:13-15

When Jesus came to the region of Caesarea Philippi, he asked his disciples, "Who do people say the Son of Man is?" They replied, "Some say John the Baptist; others say Elijah; and still others, Jeremiah or one of the prophets." "But what about you?" he asked. "Who do you say I am?"

I WONDER

Did you ever wonder --
▪why the waitress always asks, "How is your meal?" just when you take a bite?
▪why children can ask the one question you don't want to answer?
▪why laughing out loud is so much fun?
▪why the intermission of a play is always shorter than the line at the ladies room?

Or --

▪how a dog can ride in the back of a truck without falling out?
▪how ants can carry such a big crumb?
▪how come the phone always rings during your favorite show?
▪how come fudge (not good for you) tastes so much better than spinach (good for you)?

I guess the people who met Jesus wondered too. They wondered who he was. They were not sure if he was Elijah or Jeremiah. Or maybe he was John the Baptist. Or one of the prophets.

I wonder what I would have thought. Would I have recognized Jesus as the Son of God? Would I have believed the healings? Would I have understood Jesus as he told stories to teach lessons?

I wonder how I would have answered that question.

QUESTIONS OF THE DAY

Can you picture yourself there with the disciples? How would you have answered? Would you have waited for one of the others to speak up or would you have been like Simon Peter? (Read verses 16-19 to find out how Simon Peter answered.) Do you wonder who Jesus is? Or do you know?

Please use this as a beginning of your prayer. Finish in your own words, words from your heart.

LET US PRAY

Dear Christ, the Son of the living God, Your disciple Peter knew you. He was so sure and you used his strong faith. I pray for a strong faith like Peter. I do not want to wonder who you are. I want to know. I want to be able to come before you and, when you ask me "Who do you say I am?", I want to be able to say, "You are the Son of the living God. You are my Savior." ………………………………… Amen

No comments: