Friday, December 14, 2007

THIS LAST WEEK

TODAY’S SCRIPTURES:

(For your high times) I will praise you as long as I live, and in your name I will lift up my hands. My soul will be satisfied as with the richest of foods; with singing lips my mouth will praise you. Psalm 63:4-5

(For your low times) "Come to me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest. Take my yoke upon you and learn from me, for I am gentle and humble in heart, and you will find rest for your souls. For my yoke is easy and my burden is light." Matthew 11:28-30

THIS LAST WEEK

This has been a week of highs and lows. Last Sunday, our daughter and I went Christmas shopping instead of going to church. Was that wrong? NO. We needed a mother/daughter day! It was a great day. We shopped, we talked and we ate. It does not get much better than that. We used Sunday to share God's love by being together.

The lows have been to see on TV how weather and humanity disrupts our lives. Our trees were ice covered and they were pretty. Glistening and shiny. But our trees never fell and our power never went out. It is hard to see the pictures of the devastation that the ice storm caused across the country. So many people quickly forgetting about Christmas shopping as they wondered when they would have heat. Or phones. Or water.

It is amazing that on one hand water is calming as it flows in a creek or you watch the waves rush to the shore. Then on the other hand, water causes floods or ice storms or hail or too much snow. On one hand, fire keeps us warm and cooks our food. The same fire can burn a forest or a home.

Last week we had three young men die in a fire. Although the cause of the fire is still uncertain, this fire has left friends hurting, firemen questioning if they could have done more and families wondering what to do with their empty arms.

We also listened as the reports continued about shootings in malls and churches. It makes it hard to celebrate when so many people have had their lives turned upside down.

I also finished a Bible Study this week. When it was over, the group realized the study had ended much too soon. We also realized we had grown as Christians. This was a Beth Moore study, Breaking Free, Making Liberty in Christ a Reality in Life. I am not sure I am supposed to quote from her study, but I am. Hopefully this quote will help us know where to turn when we have highs, when we have lows and when we are just confused as to why people die needlessly in fires or shootings. Or why storms come.

From Beth Moore: "each morning the Holy Spirit woos me once again to the place where I meet with God. The God of grace bows low and meets with me. In the simplicity of my prayer time, I am suddenly confronted by the majesty of my Redeemer. The One who is responsible for any good in me. My past sins are forgiven and fresh mercies fall like manna from heaven. And once again, my heart is moved, and I surrender all. Morning after morning."

My friends, someday we will understand, but until that day comes, keep turning to God. Simply pray and tell the one who bows low how you feel. God can help!

QUESTIONS OF THE DAY

Think about the week you have had. Have you turned to God and praised Him when you have had highs? Have you turned to God and asked for His comfort when you have had lows?

Please use this as a beginning of your prayer. Finish in your own words, words from your heart.

LET US PRAY

Dear God of grace, I reach out to you as you bow low and meet with me. With me. Do you know how special that makes me feel? You listen to me. Oh Lord, let me talk to you in my simple words. Let me tell you about my week. ………………………………… Amen

No comments: