Friday, October 26, 2007

THAT OLE RESTLESS LEG SYNDROME

TODAY’S SCRIPTURE: ISAIAH 40:28-31

Do you not know? Have you not heard? The Lord is the everlasting God, the Creator of the ends of the earth. He will not grow tired or weary, and his understanding no one can fathom. He gives strength to the weary and increases the power of the weak. Even youths grow tired and weary, and young men stumble and fall; but those who hope in the Lord will renew their strength. They will soar on wings like eagles; they will run and not grow weary, they will walk and not be faint.

THAT OLE RESTLESS LEG SYNDROME

I just sent off an email to a local TV station. They did a medical report on RLS (Restless Leg Syndrome) and it made me mad. Irate really. You see, I have RLS. Bless my mother; she was so generous to pass this on to me. I hope I have not passed it on to our children, but only time will tell. The report: Two doctors were interviewed and they basically said that RLS could be controlled by not drinking caffeine or alcohol, by taking iron and by exercising. They stated that RLS did not really require the new drugs being advertised. I know one thing, neither of these doctors have RLS nor have a family member or friend with RLS.

I explained to the TV station that people are now going to the doctors because a name has finally been given to an old problem. People realize there is help and that they do not have to suffer. For some people there are side effects, from the medicine. That is true of any medicine. Iron: Yes, an iron deficiency in the brain has been shown to be a cause of RLS. You can take iron, but you cannot take enough iron to increase the iron in your brain. Caffeine and alcohol: I do not drink caffeine and only rarely have a glass of wine. I still have RLS. Exercise: Most RLS sufferers spend hours exercising as they walk the floor.

I have RLS and, for years, before I started taking Mirapex, I rarely slept through the night. I would try to lay still. I would try to move my legs as easy as I could, so as not to wake my husband. I would lay on one side and then the other. I would get a hot water bottle and go to the couch, hoping that would help. Do you get the picture? If you have RLS, you know exactly what I am talking about. RLS can mean that sitting through a movie is pure torture. Going for a long ride or a trip means that you are going to be in agony part of the time. Having RLS means that you will watch TV standing up because you cannot sit still. Many people with RLS have late night (after midnight) telephone buddies. People they can call as they walk the floor. RLS is real.

If you have RLS, there is help. The RLS Foundation has an excellent website: www.rls.org. When you feel like you are alone. When you are walking the floor. When you are crying because you need sleep. Remember that there is help. Remember there are others that understand.

To each of you -- If you have a physical problem, make sure you go to a doctor that takes you seriously. Do not allow a doctor to "blow you off" or refuse to check out your symptoms.

This has been different than my usual devotion and not what I was going to write, but I guess I needed to let off steam. I am mad that two doctors would make comments that could discourage people from getting help. I am mad that a TV station would report only one side of an issue, as if it was the only side. (Well, duh. That is how most news is anymore.) I was just plan mad. Now I feel better -- Thank you for being there to listen to me. Today, you have helped me!!!!!!!!

I know one thing -- prayer helps. Prayer did not take away my RLS, but it often got me though the night. "The Lord is the everlasting God, the Creator of the ends of the earth. He will not grow tired or weary, and his understanding no one can fathom. He gives strength to the weary and increases the power of the weak." Isaiah 28-29.

QUESTIONS OF THE DAY

Almost everyone suffers from something -- back pain, vision problems, and the list could go on. What is your physical problem? Do you allow prayer to help you through it? Does your doctor understand? Does your family? Do your friends? Do you have someone to call when you are really down because of the pain? Or lack of sleep?

Please use this as a beginning of your prayer. Finish in your own words, words from your heart.

LET US PRAY

Dear Lord, Sometimes I just need to sound off. Sometimes I get so frustrated with what is happening to my body. It helps to know that other people understand how I feel and can offer help. Thank you for doctors that care and listen to me. Thank you for medicine that makes life better. Thank you for those that support me when I am in pain or when my body will not allow me to sleep. Thank you for listening as I pray through my pain. ………………………………… Amen

No comments: