Friday, October 12, 2007

A HIGHER POWER

TODAY’S SCRIPTURES:

Look to the Lord and his strength; seek his face always. Psalm 105:4

You will keep in perfect peace him whose mind is steadfast, because he trusts in you. Trust in the Lord forever, for the Lord, the Lord, is the Rock eternal. Isaiah 26:3-4

Come to me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest. Matthew 11:28

A HIGHER POWER

I tell you, as long as I have grandchildren, I will not run out of ideas for this blog. Our daughter and her boys were over this week to visit and eat lunch. To take full advantage of a beautiful fall day and to keep the kitchen a little cleaner, we decided to eat lunch outside.

There was one problem. Timothy, age 3, likes to sit in a particular chair when he eats at our house. (Actually, it is a step stool, but we haven't pointed that out to him. He just knows it is great to sit on.)

Timothy turned to his mother and said, "Can I take my black and white chair outside?"

Mother said, "I don't think you need to, grandpa has a chair for you."

Timothy then turned to me and said, "Grandma, can I take my black and white chair outside?"

Grandma, of course, said, "Yes." Timothy then, with a great big smile, told his mother, "Grandma says I can take the chair outside."

Timothy knew there was a higher power.

Oh, darn. Another lesson taught by a child -- turning to a higher power.

Where do you turn for answers? Yourself? A friend? A minister? Family? There is nothing wrong with asking others to help and support you. I would be lost without help from those around me and I do believe we should try to help ourselves, but I know one thing -- There is a higher power and I waste so much time when I do not turn to that power first.

When I turn to the power of God first and then use His strength to work at solving the problem, with the support of others, there is peace in my life. Not an easier road, but peace as I face the curves and potholes.

AND - God has made it so simple. He says, "Come."

QUESTION OF THE DAY

Remember what I said, turning to yourself and others is not wrong. We need all the love and support we can get. The question is: Do you go to the higher power first?

Please use this as a beginning of your prayer. Finish in your own words, words from your heart.

LET US PRAY

Dear Lord, A problem arises and I try to solve it. I have questions and I ask others for answers. When I feel lost and alone I try to find ways to fill up my days and nights. I need to reach out to the higher power. I need to come to you. Thank you that you are there. That you are always there when I say Lord. I am so grateful that I can turn to others for support, but let me always go to you first. ………………………………… Amen

No comments: