Friday, September 21, 2007

A Year Later

TODAY’S SCRIPTURE: COLOSSIANS 3:16-17

Let the word of Christ dwell in you richly as you teach and admonish one another with all wisdom, and as you sing psalms, hymns and spiritual songs with gratitude in your hearts to God. And whatever you do, whether in word or deed, do it all in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God the Father through him.

A Year Later

It does not seem possible, but I have been posting to this blog for one year. I am never sure who reads it, but that is okay. I am happy if one person reads what I write. I am thrilled if my words help someone. Three weeks ago, I wrote about gossip and about how words can be used. Words are powerful! Words bring an image instantly to your mind.

Read a word. Close your eyes. Picture the word. Do this for each word.

Tree ----- Dog ----- Mountain ----- Spider ----- Turnip ----- Water ----- Rainbow

What did you see? What kind of tree? There are so many. What kind of dog? Bet you didn't see the same dog I saw -- a Newfoundland named Wally. How did you picture a mountain? Was it green and soft like the Smokey Mountains or was it high and sharp like the Rockies? Did the image of a spider make you want to open your eyes? Do you even know what a turnip looks like? And water. Did you see an ocean? A slow moving stream? Something to drink? I would bet we all saw the same image for a rainbow.

Words are powerful. They give us images and they give us feelings. Again, read a word. Close your eyes. Feel the word. Do this for each word.

Hope ----- Love ----- Laughter ----- Tears ----- Touch ----- Children ----- Music

What did you feel? Can you feel hope? Do you know that it is there? Did the word love make you feel safe or lonely? Laughter -- Did your lips curl into a smile? Tears -- Did you remember a time when you cried? The word touch could bring good memories or bad. A hand placed gently can make a heart leap. I hope you remembered a gentle touch. And children. Did you picture a sweet child, being good? Or a normal child being loud and getting into trouble? Music -- Did you hear a favorite song? Did you move just a bit as you kept time to the music of your heart?

Words are powerful! The words in the Bible are powerful. They are there to teach us. To guide us. To tell us about mountains and water. To tell us about hope and love and laughter. And tears. Read the Bible. Picture the words. Feel the words.

QUESTIONS OF THE DAY

So what is your favorite word? What word do you use when you are mad? What word do you just absolutely hate? What word gives you the most comfort?

Please use this as a beginning of your prayer. Finish in your own words, words from your heart.

LET US PRAY
Dear Heavenly Father, Thank you for words. Words that make a memory appear. Words that remind me of a person. Of a place. Thank you for words. Words that make me feel. Words that give me comfort. Or make me excited. Or make me laugh. Thank you for the words in the Bible. Words that teach me about you. Words that teach me about myself. Words that teach me how to help others. ………………………………… Amen

No comments: