Friday, May 25, 2007

FILL UP THAT TANK

TODAY’S SCRIPTURE: John 4:10-15

Jesus answered her, "If you knew the gift of God and who it is that asks you for a drink, you would have asked him and he would have given you living water."

"Sir," the woman said, "you have nothing to draw with and the well is deep. Where can you get this living water? Are you greater than our father Jacob, who gave us the well and drank from it himself, as did also his sons and his flocks and herds?"

Jesus answered, "Everyone who drinks this water will be thirsty again, but whoever drinks the water I give him will never thirst. Indeed, the water I give him will become in him a spring of water welling up to eternal life."

FILL UP THAT TANK

Watching the evening news, I saw the lines of people trying to fill their gas tanks before the price went up another 20 cents. The first time I put gas in a car, the price was 25 cents per gallon. (Yes, that was back in the dark ages, as are the next two examples.) The cost has gone up.

Saturday afternoon at the movies was the highlight of the week. You saw not one, but two movies. Good westerns where the guy in the white hat was the hero and he kissed his horse instead of the girl. The movie, popcorn or candy bar, and pop cost less than a dollar. The price of watching a movie has gone up.

The first job I had was as a carhop at a Tastee Freeze. (If you know what a carhop is, good. And Tastee Freeze? That was like a Dairy Queen.) I made 35 cents per hour plus tips. Wages have gone up.

We live on a farm and, unbelievably, we sold our rock pile. Rocks we had picked up out of the fields. Now who would buy rocks? It seems people pay at least a penny a pound for rocks to put in their flowerbeds. The cost of a flowerbed has gone up.

Then there is bottled water. No longer do people turn on the tap and take a drink. The water has to be from a spring, be flavored, be enhanced with power aides or be a certain brand. A bottle of water is over one dollar. The cost of water has gone up.

Or has it? Jesus told us that if we drink the water he offers we will never thirst. And the cost of that water today? The same as it was back then. All we have to do is ask for a drink.

QUESTIONS OF THE DAY

Are you thirsty? Do you need to fill up? Have you asked Jesus for a drink?

Please use this as a beginning of your prayer. Finish in your own words, words from your heart.

LET US PRAY

Giver of the Living Water, The world takes so much out of me. Sometimes it seems I am running on empty. I turn to worldly things to fill me up. I think I can be filled by having a better car or a better job or more money. Teach me to ask you for the living water. Only then will I be filled. Teach me to ask you for the living water when .………………………………… Amen

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Well said.