Friday, April 20, 2007

A DAY OFF

TODAY'S SCRIPTURE: Matthew 14:22 - 23

Immediately Jesus made the disciples get into the boat and go ahead of him to the other side, while he dismissed the crowd. After he dismissed them, he went up on a mountainside by himself to pray. When evening came, he was there alone.

A DAY OFF

Last week I mentioned that you should take time for yourself. I did that this week. Our grandson Noah had a slight problem with the baby blanket I made him 5 years ago. It has been used to the point of absolute destruction. To be honest, the experiment he did with scissors did not help the blanket, but I think it had just been loved to death. I thought I could fix it, but upon close examination, there was no way to repair it. It says in the Bible that you should not put new wine in an old wine skin. You should not try to sew new material onto old either. It was time for a new blanket. Out came the sewing machine and I thoroughly enjoyed my day. It had been a long time since I had made something. Since I took the time to be off in a room by myself, doing something I love.

Jesus went off to pray -- by himself. We need to learn that. We need to take time for ourselves. It is not a selfish act.

I remember one time, when the children were grade school/junior high age and I had a really rough day. Not with the kids. Just one of those days. Things to do for the children. Things to do for my husband. Things to do for church, for scouts, in the house and for work. Things to do -- FOR EVERYONE EXCEPT ME. I discovered something that day. It seemed there was no me left. I was a mother. I was a wife. I was a committee member. I was a worker. But where was I in all that. I learned two things -- I could easily have walked out the door that day (I would have come back.) and I needed to find myself again. I first needed to be the person God had created. Only then could I be a good wife. A good mother. A good Christian. It may sound selfish, but I learned to take time for myself.

Do you ever feel like that? Do you feel like you have no life other than how other people need you? Your job is important. Your family is important. Your work at church is important. But YOU are important. Take care of yourself. Take time for yourself.

Remember -- Jesus went off to pray.

QUESTIONS OF THE DAY

Again back to last week -- it is a matter of time and how you use it. Do you know how to say no? Are you on too many committees? Are you trying to be a super person --thinking you can do it all? Do you make time for yourself? How can you make time for yourself?

LET US PRAY

Dear Jesus, I have so much in my life. So many blessings, but sometimes it seems I am running here and running there. Show me how to be the child you created. Teach me to go off to pray. Teach me to be the best, whole person I can be. Make me a strong me, because then I can be there for others. ………………… Amen.

No comments: