Friday, February 02, 2007

STANDING ON THE SIDELINES

TODAY’S SCRIPTURE: Matthew 25:21

“His master replied, ‘Well done, good and faithful servant! You have been faithful with a few things; I will put you in charge of many things. Come and share your master’s happiness!’

STANDING ON THE SIDELINES

A section of our Sunday School quarterly was on the Book of Revelation. Talk about confusing. Confusing until David and Joyce shared a story with us about a Methodist work trip they had just finished.

David told about their time spent working at a school - a school for kids in trouble. He told how the youth wanted to see their motor homes and were amazed at the size (or lack of size) of those homes on wheels and, of course, all wanted to see the bathrooms. Then the kids were treated to those irresistible graham crackers topped with marshmallows and chocolate. But not all of the kids.

Each day they work for the privileges they will receive the next. That evening, some had to stand on the sidelines to pay for their behavior of the day before. How hard to watch others having fun and realize that you blew it.

Then it hit me – That is what Revelation is all about. It is a picture of tomorrow. We are working now for our reward tomorrow. We do not want to be on the sidelines. We do not want to see others receive rewards that we could be sharing. We do not know when Revelation’s “tomorrow” will come, but, come it will. One question – When your day of Revelation comes, where will you be? Standing on the sidelines, realizing that you blew it, or celebrating your reward.

QUESTIONS OF THE DAY

It is a good thing we cannot see into the future, but if we could -- if we could see when our last day would be -- and that last day was -- right this very instant -- where would you be? Enjoying your reward or standing on the sidelines?

LET US PRAY

Dear Heavenly Father, I do not know your plan for me. I do not know when you will ask for an accounting of my talents, my actions. I will try to live each day for you. When I hear “Well done, good and faithful servant!”, I hope it is because I have lived my life in such a way as to earn my reward. I will ………………………………… Amen

No comments: