Friday, February 09, 2007

QUIET TIME -- MAYBE

TODAY’S SCRIPTURE: Matthew 18:19-20

“Again, I tell you that if two of your on earth agree about anything you ask for, it will be done for you by my Father in heaven. For where two or three come together in my name, there am I with them.”

QUIET TIME -- MAYBE

In Indiana, February is a dreary month. The sky is usually overcast. The snow is melted (although this year we still have snow) and you can see the winter’s accumulation of trash along the roadside. The ground is muddy and the sun hides behind those clouds. There is one really good thing about February – IT DOESN’T LAST VERY LONG!!! Bill always says there is a reason February has only 28/29 days. That is long enough. I always hope when February leaves, it takes the flu and winter colds with it. But even during February, there are committee meetings.

Sometimes I get to church early for a meeting and I go to the sanctuary for a few quiet moments. Well, not quiet during the day. You can hear the pre-school children, you can hear people walking down the hall, you can hear the furnace, you can hear the traffic and you can hear the chatter in the church office.

At night, it is a little bit quieter, but not much. Sometimes cleaning is being done and you can hear the sweeper. You can hear other committee members coming in. And choir practice. And the furnace is running. And there is traffic noise.

Would I want to hear just quiet? No children’s voices. No choir. No furnace. No fellow church members. No traffic. No custodian. No church secretary. “NO WAY!” These noises mean our church is alive and busy. The traffic noise makes me realize we are a part of the world. I do not want to shut the world out. I want to invite the world in.

Next time you are in the church, listen to the sounds your church makes. Be a part of the noise.

QUESTIONS OF THE DAY

What noise do you make in your church? Is it a good noise?

LET US PRAY

Dear God, Your church is a busy place. It is a place where children come to learn. It is a place where adults praise you with song and glorify you with worship. Your church is a place where I can come to pray. Your church is a place where I can join other believers. Thank you for your church. When I am in church let me ………………………………… Amen

No comments: