Friday, January 12, 2007

I’M BEING GOOD -- FOR A CHANGE

TODAY’S SCRIPTURE: Titus 3:1-8

Remind the people to be subject to rulers and authorities, to be obedient, to be ready to do whatever is good, to slander no one, to be peaceable and considerate, and to show true humility toward all men.

At one time, we too were foolish, disobedient, deceived and enslaved by all kinds of passions and pleasures. We lived in malice and envy, being hated and hating one another. But when the kindness and love of God our Savior appeared, he saved us, not because of righteous things we had done, but because of his mercy. He saved us through the washing of rebirth and renewal by the Holy Spirit whom he poured out on us generously through Jesus Christ our Savior, so that, having been justified by his grace, we might become heirs having the hope of eternal life. This is a trustworthy saying. And I want you to stress these things, so that those who have trusted in God may be careful to devote themselves to doing what is good. These things are excellent and profitable for everyone.

I’M BEING GOOD -- FOR A CHANGE

Now my grandson, Joshua, just makes me smile. He has a way of looking at you with his head tilted down, eyes looking up and his mouth in a sheepish grin that makes him seem innocent of all charges. Usually this is not the case. Being the second in a family of four boys, he causes his share of trouble. But there was that one time, when I was taking care of the boys so their parents could have a few days away, that he really was good.

I had to get after Matthew and Matthew said, “Boy, she is tough!”

Noah got in trouble and wanted me to count to seven instead of the usual three.

For Timothy I needed a recording saying, “No. No. Get Down. Get back in here.”

Joshua just behaved. He helped get Timothy down the steps. He helped set the table for supper. He took his bath. He got dressed for school -- the first time I asked. He put his Game Boy down when I told him he had played with it enough. He went to bed on time. He didn’t start any fights with his brothers. For three days, he was good!

Now to be honest, this probably was a record. But here again, a lesson on life.

Some days it is easy to be good. Sometimes even a whole week. A month is a stretch. And forget about a whole year. No matter how hard we try, we slip up. We do things we know are wrong. We say things we know we shouldn’t. We ignore those different from us. We open our doors and hearts to only certain people.

The great thing is that we are not alone in our struggle to be good. God is beside us.

QUESTIONS OF THE DAY

How long can you be good? What do you need to change to make being good last for more than a day or a week? How can you help other people be good? Is being good, good enough?

LET US PRAY

Dear God, I do try to be good, but I know that is not good enough. Each day I need to be renewed by the Holy Spirit. I need to reflect your grace and your mercy. With your help, I can learn to have patience, with others and myself. With your help, I can be more understanding. With your help, guided by the Holy Spirit, I can………………………………… Amen

No comments: