Friday, November 24, 2006

SLOW DOWN -- SEE THE WONDERS

When I saw the calendar page for November 23, the saying made me think. ---- “Not what we say about our blessings, but how we use them, is the true measure of our thanksgiving. -- W.T. Purkiser ---- I hope that today, you remember the blessing you have received and that you use those blessings wisely.

TODAY’S SCRIPTURE
Give thanks to the Lord, for he is good. His love endures forever.
Give thanks to the God of gods. His love endures forever.
Give thanks to the Lord of lords: His love endures forever.
to him who alone does great wonders, His love endures forever.
who by his understand made the heavens, His love endures forever.
who spread out the earth upon the waters, His love endures forever.
who made the great lights -- His love endures forever.
the sun to govern the day, His love endures forever.
the moon and stars to govern the night; His love endures forever.
Psalm 136:1-9

SLOW DOWN -- SEE THE WONDERS

Oh, how time flies, except for the drive home from Rochester one night. On that drive, the time was just perfect. Grandson Nathan, who was four at the time, rode with me to attend a pre-school graduation. We heard the songs and saw Joshua, a five-year-old grandson, move his tassel. At least he could find his. Some had flipped their tassel from side to side so often that it had ended up on the back of the cap. We continued the celebration with cake. Then we headed home – on the back roads.

The ride over had been fun. We talked about rivers and about corn being planted. We talked about how to behave at the church. Yes, the ride over was fun, but the ride home was one wonder after another.

Around one corner, we saw a large lake and talked about water lilies. Then we saw wild geese and their babies. Since no one was behind us, we stopped and watched. What fun to see new life. All fluffy and going in all directions with mom trying to keep up. If that was not enough excitement for one drive, we saw some horses and their colts. Again, we stopped and watched. One colt came over to the fence to check us out. Maybe we were the ones being watched. The talk here involved how the colts were fed and how each was marked differently. We moved on, but again had to stop. This time to watch the deer. They just stood at the side of the road for us to admire. The conversation here? None. I had put the window down so Nathan could see better and he informed me that we needed to be quiet so as not to scare them. Finally, we had to move on. The wonders had not ended though. The sky was on fire. The sun was setting and Nathan kept looking over his shoulder saying, “Look now grandma.”

On this journey, I learned this four year old is never quiet. This is not a new revelation and he has a three-year-old cousin that is the same way. But confined in the car, I listened to him better. What did I hear? I heard the joy of seeing something new. I heard the excitement of watching a colt. I heard the quiet of nature. I learned that time does not have to fly by.

QUESTIONS OF THE DAY

It is Thanksgiving. What are you thankful for? If you are reading this in the evening, did you find any wonders today? Was the sky on fire as the sun rose or set? Did you see a very bright star? Or a new colt? If you are reading this in the morning, where will you look for wonders to appear? Keep your eyes and mind open.

LET US PRAY

Dear God, I do know you have put many amazing wonders in this world for me to find. I want to see them. I want to feel the sun on my face and feel the breeze cool me. I want to wiggle my toes in the mud and watch a butterfly. Today I saw ………………………………… Amen

No comments: